Friday, July 1, 2011

Take Two

Obviously, it's been a while since I've written. Like, two years. Enough time for me to finish a hellishly tough year of class, bumble around at the lab bench for a while, then take a hellishly tough qualifying exam, all the while participating in more than a few bike races.

I am pleased to announce that:
1) I'm now a married lady. Sorry to dash anyone's hopes...
2) You can call me a PhD Candidate (more importantly, I can include that in my e-mail signature)
3) I now partake in both road AND cyclocross races!

Learning to balance all three of the above things is an ongoing process for me - I will admit, when my racing is going well, my lab work might not be the foremost thing on my mind, and when I'm working hard in the lab, I'm not the nicest person for my husband to deal with. That's just life, I guess: trying to integrate all the things you love to do and somehow manage to find a few spare hours to eat and sleep!

Each one of my interest distracts a bit from the next, which is why I'm a little embarrassed to say I've recently added a new distraction to the list: Twitter-creeping (tweeping?) on the Tour de France peloton. I blame Cycling News because a few days ago they posted an article recommending whose Twitter feeds to follow during the tour. Being that experiments are usually very boring and I am in the lab for an eternity anyways, I decided it couldn't hurt to join Twitter just to "follow" (and by follow I definitely mean creep on) my favorite riders to entertain myself during the day. I really don't think I'm alone in this endeavor, seeing as Mark Cavendish has like 65,000 followers. Anyways, I was right, it HAS been entertaining, however it has also been distracting. I guess the one productive thing about my entry into the world of Twitter is that I also subscribe to Nature magazine's Twitter feed, and they post "educational" tweets and articles. I personally have not tweeted yet, so I don't advise looking me up and following my feed. You will be disappointed.

Stay tuned, I will try and make more regular blog posts.
-Happy Deeds

No comments: